Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Reading Review

There were a lot of reading options I never got the chance to look into, but I enjoyed all the readings that I did try. I think the approach I took over the semester made the experience much better. Starting with the more traditional versions of the larger narratives was a good way to get a broad perspective of the mythology. Then, reading the graphic novels and watching the videos after was a great juxtaposition in style. I enjoyed the style and creativity of the graphic novels, but I think I learned the most from Narayan's novels. Those were really a great first step into the stories.

After reading for a while, I started doing my diaries from the perspective of how I might use elements of the stories in my writing. Looking at it from this perspective made writing the diaries much easier, and what I ended up writing was more useful for my stories. It also affected how I read the stories, and I started noticing narrative tropes, writing paces, plot holes, etc.

I think the balance of the writing, reading, and comments was very strong. They are divided evenly by default, and I like that there are more opportunities for reading if you want. I think that's a great approach to it. If I had any advice on the reading, I think it would be to look ahead and plan. Before you finish one reading, you should know what you want to read next. It makes the process flow more quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment